This one's for women only: menstrual cup 101

Ladies, I have entered the menstrual cup fray.

I did say women only didn't I.

It really isn't as bad as you might think. I'll go so far as saying that it is, in fact, liberating. You see, if all goes to plan I will never have to purchase pads or tampons again, I will never leak, never risk TSD or ever be uncomfortable again. Ever. Sounds good yes?

this is a cute baby lamb. Because, well, what other picture was I supposed to use?

what is it?

A menstrual cup is a little squidgy cup thing made of medical grade silicon or natural rubber that is inserted much like a tampon, except instead of absorbing fluid, it collects it.

whyyyy?

Unlike a tampon or a pad for that matter, it has some pretty fantastic benefits:

  • It's reusable and can last for years. You save money and stop wasting materials.
  • It can hold up to 12-hours worth of fluid, meaning you have to change it much much less than a pad or tampon and you can wear it overnight safely.
  • It doesn't leak, if inserted correctly. A suction seal does all the work.
  • It's safer. Because it doesn't absorb, you have zero risk of toxic shock syndrome.
  • You can't feel it, at all.
  • It can be worn sleeping, swimming, running, yoga, you name it. No worries.

My original motivation to try one of these cuppies was to avoid the waste associated with throwing away 10,000 used tampons and pads over a lifetime. I will soon be going completely 'zero waste', so using disposable products simply won't be an option for me (more on these adventures in a later post).

Now that I'm actually using one? I'm a complete convert but for lifestyle reasons as well as environmental ones. Not having to change products every few hours is a blessing. Free-dom! Knowing it's safer and better for me is a load off. Knowing I'll never have to buy sanitary products again is freakin' wonderful. 

which type of cup should I buy?

I chose the Juju Cup. It's made in Australia, has won a couple of awards and has excellent feedback on the interweb. Other popular brands include DivaCup, Lunette and Mooncup (I like their video) and The Keeper Cup (a natural rubber cup). There are many brands, some made from silicon and others from natural rubber. Search for 'menstrual cup' online and read through the various brands' websites. I dare say most are much of a muchness, to be honest.

how does it work?

Don't be too concerned about that. You'll find more than enough info on use on each brand's website. Here's the instructions on Juju's site. There are even instructional videos on youtube. The key thing to know is that it does take a little getting used to, but once you have the hang of it, it is a no-brainer.

Got any questions or tips, please comment below. Don't be shy ;)


5 comments:

  1. I too am a recent cup convert. I don't know why it took me so long!! It is super easy to use, super comfortable and I only have to think about it twice in a 24hour period (no pun intended..) Zero leakage and zero waste. Yay. No having to worry about wearing an uncomfortable, moist 'mattress' overnight. I can wear my pretty knickers to bed, get changed in the communal locker room at the pool, hop in the shower with my kids.... FREEDOM! And all while saving the environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria @ The Society Co.August 8, 2015 at 3:41 PM

      I know what you mean, I don't know what took me so long either! I put it off for so long because I thought it would be horrible to use, but in reality it's fine, better and cleaner than a tampon or pad. It is taking me a little to get used to removal, but am slowly getting the hang of it. I'm really really glad I've made the switch.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this … I too am wondering, what took me so long?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first heard about this on ZeroWasteHome, and thought that it was really great that we can go zero-waste in this department too. At the same time, however, I didn't think that I could or that I would want to go this way!
    Now that I'm reading about it again, I'm intrigued....very curious and a little bit eager to at least give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glass in house (kính cường lực) đẹp và ngày càng đc sử dụng nhiều, cá nhân m cũng rất thích . Bên công ty m cũng thi công kính cường lực http://kinhcuongluchn.com/

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author