4 ways to meld mindulfness into your day

In case you missed the memo, mindfulness makes life better. Oh you didn't know? Let me give you the low-down:


  • An official definition: Mindfulness is an attribute of consciousness long-believed to promote wellbeing. It's the intentional, accepting and non-judgemental focus of one's attention on the happenings on the present moment.
  • Or simply put, it's the act of paying attention to what 'is' right now.
  • Mindfulness helps you focus on and enjoy the present as opposed to worrying about the past or future.
  • I liken the practice of mindfulness to going on a holiday - you return with greater clarity and your negative emotions seem less raw and abrasive.
  • It makes you fall more in love with life.
  • When you think about it, you practice mindfulness every time you watch a film. Now it's just a matter of training your brain to do it all the time.

Mindfulness is based on the premise that every single problem is either past or future. Therefore, if you anchor yourself to only the present, you're able to feel disconnected from your problem to the point where you can a) not freak out, and b) figure out what to do without freaking out, and c) enjoy your life a bit more.

I've been a studious practitioner of mindfulness for almost two years now and I'm not exaggerating when I say it's saved my behind (aka sanity) many times over. Over the years I've exacted ways to incorporate mindfulness into my daily life. It's become second nature to me. I thought I'd share in case you'd like to give it a go too:

  1. As you're brushing your teeth, study all the things in your bathroom;
    the soap dish, the bath mat, what you can see out the window, the tiles, the grout, the artwork. You'll be surprised at all the details you never noticed. Doing this will also most likely ensure you brush your teeth for the recommended duration of 2 minutes #bonusdentalhealthtrick.
  2. Narrate to yourself everything you can see on the road as you drive.
    Eg, "I'm passing a 60km sign, there's a blue camry in front of me, there's a pedestrian on the footpath next to me..." This also helps you become a better, more alert driver #bonusdriversafetytrick.
  3. Pay attention to how the soap and water feel on your skin as you shower.
    Notice every sensation as you wash all your bits. No that's not me being rude. By 'bits' I mean all your body parts, feet, calves, knees, elbows... This will also ensure you don't fade out into a shower coma and waste water #bonuswatersavingtip.
  4. Notice how every mouthful of food feels and tastes.
    This one's my favourite. So long as you're chowing down on something yummy, you can't not enjoy this. It also means you won't over-eat #bonushealthyeatingtip.

If you have your own mindfulness tricks to share, comment below, would love to pick up some more ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely tips Maria, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good reminder, thank you Maria. I like to sit and look out at the garden either from a garden seat or from the veranda...watch the birds and insects flitting around the shrubs...or gaze up at the sky to admire the cloud formations. You can tell my children are grown up and left home, and I'm retired, can't you? Lol

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author