WHAT DO YOU DESIRE?

© Fabrik, A Photo Epos of Technology by Jakob Tuggener published bySteidl

Watch this 3-minute clip and then let's chat:


Watt's speech is achingly true, isn't it? We all know it, it's under our skin. Maybe it resonates a little too much for some. Maybe you think it's too late. Maybe you think you don't know what you desire.

The truth is that it's not too late. And you do know what you desire. It's fear that stops you from defining it and fear that stops you from making it happen.

Fear of failure.
Fear of judgement.
Fear of not keeping up with the Joneses.
Fear of losing what you have.

Perhaps you'll only change when the fear of never living your life the way you truly want to, overpowers the fear of the unknown. Crap, I know it finally has for me. Are you living your life the way you truly want to. Are you? It starts by asking yourself that question. We all need to ask ourselves that question.




5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the thought provoking post. I have asked myself what I desire many times and have had such big plans, some of which were fulfilled and some that weren't. Then when I finally, at the age of 41, reevaluated my desires they were so much more modest than they were at the age of 21. More and more I realise I desire connection and balance in my life rather than conventional success and that when I aim for those things I am happier than when I was slogging my guts out towards something bigger. Funny thing is that there is also less fear associated with what I am aiming for now but maybe that has something to do with the the last 20 years experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing Maria. p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, big questions but exactly what I needed today. Thank you for your beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post Maria. I would much rather spend my life on the back of a horse than in an office, but also know that the grass isn't necessarily greener. The balance for me is to do a desk job which brings me satisfaction on some level and making sure I use my money for my horse - the thing that truly gives me pleasure & feeds my passion in life - not shoes, handbags or night creams....Hence I ride first thing every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is one of the first Alan Watts recordings I was introduced to some two years ago. My iPod is filled with his audio. What do I desire and what do I strife for: I strife for trueness. As a creative person and a writer I want to make what feels like the most genuine expression of me. Not what other people will like, not even necessarily what I will like, but what wants to come out of me. I also express this in the way I act or to be more precise, am. I strife to be the truest version of myself.

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author