I can eat my bronzer

If there's one thing I'm sure of, it's that it's not a good idea to put stuff on your skin that you wouldn't eat. Seeing as skin is a living organ, everything we put on it ends up in our bodies. Everything.  I've talked about the cons of using conventional beauty products before - I stay well clear of them. And so, whilst I can safely say I'm not a massive fan of make-up, I have recently adorned my face with a bit of this home-made bronzer, because well, I could eat it if I wanted to.


My homemade bronzer/blush/eyeshadow in an old coffee jar. Which I could eat, if I wanted to. The bronzer, not the jar, that is.




















This bronzer is 100% natural, made with ingredients you likely already have in your pantry. It takes all of 5 minutes to put together. Does it work? Yes, yes it does. Very well in fact. I use it as a bronzer, eye shadow and blush. And it smells amazeballs. Why wouldn't you?

2 tsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cacao powder
1 tbsp cinnamon powder
an empty jar

So you know:
Arrowroot helps the bronzer spread evenly.
Nutmeg provides a sun-kissed brown.
Cacao and cinnamon give depth of colour.

Start by adding the arrowroot powder and nutmeg to your empty jar. Now add cacao and cinnamon slowly until you reach a shade that matches your skin. Mix well and store.

Want more 100% natural beauty tips and tricks? Download my free beauty guide for... free! Click on the image below for more info:


Do you use pantry ingredients in place of conventional make-up? If so, do share your tips as I'm putting a few recipes together... A while back one reader shared that they use beetroot juice as a blush, which I love.



16 comments:

  1. I love your titles for your posts. Sometimes I don't have time to read all the blogs , and then your title gets me in! I am going to try this one , sounds great.I have been making my own lipsticks and I would never go back to the old type now after reading all the nasty ingredients people put so close to their mouth in bought lippie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, glad you like it! Oh I'd love to know how you make your own lipstick... care to share?

      Delete
  2. I love this! I will definitely try this instead of purchasing my next bronzer. This all reminds of Indah Organics who sell their products in lunch paper bags because its designed to be all natural food your skin.

    selfhealthenvironment.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I just read your post on indigenous understandings of nature... loved it and shared via my social media sites (and Sustainable Table's).

      Delete
  3. Hi Maria,
    I am a subscriber but definitely haven't received 'the guide' - can you help?
    thanks, Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois, the link to the guide is included in the final confirmation email after you have subscribed. Email me at econestblog@gmail.com if it's not there.

      Delete
  4. I just forked out for another tub of Inika mineral foundation, and I reckon I could have used this instead! What a great idea, thanks Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stop it! I've been 'stressing' out over a natural bronzer with no sparkles for THAT long! After making my own toothpaste with coconut oil, bi carb soda, stevia and peppermint oil recently I am all over this, can't wait to try and smell like a cinnamon face :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vicki Lee, how are you finding the toothpaste? I've just made mine (using one of Maria's recipes) with coconut oil, bicarb & peppermint essential oil. I found that I've had to add way more than just 10 drops of the EO to get that minty feeling/taste. I've since added more, and feel like I need to add even more!! Does the Stevia help do you think?
      Thanks a bunch!

      Delete
    2. Hia Lieslg, essential oils are safe in small doses but can be harmful in large amounts because they're so concentrated, so don't go too overboard with the quantity... just warning ya! Maybe try edible peppermint oil if you want a strong taste.. that might do the trick!

      Delete
  6. I made this last night, thanks, love it. Just needed to make sure the nutmeg was ground down a bit more, mine was a bit course, oops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post. When I was at Drama School I went through a natural stage and used cocoa for blush. I thought I was so clever until I was walking to my daily voice class and it started to.....rain! By the time I got to class my face resembled brownie mix!
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha I've done this, and even posted the 'evidence' up on IG! I used only Raw Cacao Powder, so I will do round 2 with your added ingredients. Merci beaucoup, Maria ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have lost my copy of your ebook and it won't let me sign up again to your newsletter. Can I please get another copy? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, no probs just email me at econestblog@gmail.com.

      Delete
  10. Such a good idea! Does it get on your clothes at all?? Also Maria, natural lippy can be made from a mix of beeswax pellets, cacao butter, coconut butter and then you colour with things like cinnamon or cacao powder, and beetroot powder for red! Yum! Can't remember where I found the recipe though so not sure of proportions, pretty sure it was a US site :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author