more legume love: greek fasolatha

I'm running with my bean theme, because quite a few of you have told me that finding ways to eat them is a little tricky. There's not a lot of bean recipes out there. Have you tried this Greek fasolatha? It's a cinch to make, really simple ingredients and very comforting. Good for a cold weekend cook-up.

Photo via kitchen daily. I'll be photographing mine soon.


fasolatha 

500g dried great northern white beans or butter beans, soaked overnight
2 bay leaves
extra virigin olive oil
1 brown onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
3 celery sticks with young leaves, diced
3 tomatoes, blanched, skin removed and squashed (if in season)
salt and feshly ground pepper, to taste
fresh parsley, finely chopped, for garnish
hot red chillies, to serve (optional)

Drain the soaked beans and place them in a large pot with bay leaves and enough cold water to just cover. Bring to the boil, then simmer until softened but not cooked through.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in another large pot over low heat and add the onion, carrots, celery and if in season, the tomatoes. Also add a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover and sauté until softened.

Drain the beans and add these to the pot with the vegetables. Add enough warm water to just cover. Simmer until the beans have completely softened and the soup is thick to your liking.

To serve, sprinkle with parsley and finely chopped red hot chillies, if you like.

Give this a go and let me know how you like it.

Have a sweet weekend xx


4 comments:

  1. Ah fasolatha!
    It was the kind of thing we always had a bowl of in the fridge when I was small that I would never touch. Nowadays though, I would appreciate a bowl so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I was exactly the same as a kid. I love it now though!

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised this has water instead of stock - does just water give enough flavour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely... I rarely use stock in cooking, particularly if adding lots of veggies and herbs/spices. Of course, you can use stock if you have some on hand and wish to :)

      Delete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author