my mate's choc hazelnut fudge

Foof! I've been MIA this week due to life getting a little crazy. The craziness got to my brain and blocked the synaptic processes required to string coherent sentences together. Ergo no posts this week.

But today, a recipe for a sugar-free no-bake choc hazelnut fudge that will blow your mind. My mate Gina (who filmed my natural beauty videos) came up with it. Bless her. She gave me a take-home bag of the stuff last week. I ate the lot before I got home. I TOLD YOU I WOULD GINA!


Photo by Kelly Brozyna. Ok so it's not a photo of the fudge I made, but mine didn't look as pretty. Gina's did, but I'd eaten it before I had the chance to snap.

The recipe calls for coconut butter, which is different to coconut oil. Coconut oil is just the oil pressed from the coconut meat. Coconut butter is the whole meat of the coconut pureed into a creamy butter. Don't bother trying this recipe without coconut butter, coconut oil alone won't give you the creamy fudgey texture that makes this treat So Freaking Good. You can buy coconut butter from health food shops or online (iherb is good). Gina says the Artisana brand is the best tasting one she's found.

As a side note - I didn't have coconut butter but I did have coconut flakes in the pantry so decided to make it myself. It's super easy but be aware you need a good blender (which mine is not) and you need a lot of coconut (4 cups of coconut flakes gets you 1 cup of coconut butter). You also need a fair whack of patience (the process takes 15 minutes if using a regular blender, and you constantly have to scrape the sides). Click here for photographic instructions.

My other tip - I didn't have any dates on hand but found the end result sweet enough without them.

Gina's choc hazelnut fudge
  • 1 1/2 cups activated hazelnuts (or toasted if you can't get activated)
  • 3/4 cup melted coconut butter 
  • 2 - 3 soft pitted dates
  • 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • a pinch of salt 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla paste

Gently pulse the hazelnuts in your food processor (you want them to stay fairly chunky). Transfer them to a mixing bowl. Set aside. 
Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and puree. Add the puree to the chopped hazelnuts and combine. Press the mixture into a dish lined with unbleached parchment paper. Pop in the freezer until set. Once set, remove from the dish and cut into chunks. Store in the freezer.
Give this a go and let me now what you think. I'm addicted!!

10 comments:

  1. OMG - this recipe sounds divine. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Maria and Gina! I'lll have to try this, it looks absolutely divine! I make a raw, sugar free, chocolate fudge cake which has similar ingredients. Who needs sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria, thanks for posting Gina's recipe. I made it yesterday and we can't stop eating it. It is absolutely beautiful. It reminded my husband of the chocolate crackles he had as a kid. Thanks for such a fabulous blog! Candi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry...can't type reply...drool affecting keyboard...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, delicious, yum. I love that these are stored in the freezer. This means big batches that will last long time! (if they don't get eaten first!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG this looks amazing!!! I'll be trying this out and posting back the result. I have the Artisana Coconut butter as I thought I would take it off the spoon easier than the oil - but no :( however these look like a great use of it - thanks Maria and Gina x

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author