my cheat's falafel balls with tahini yoghurt sauce

I'm normally a do-it-slow, do-it-the-old-school-way kinda person but sometimes a girl's gotta get on with it yeah? And so I came up with a cheat's way to do falafel balls, which normally involves a few extra steps. Because I like balls (see my choc coconut balls and my tahini honey balls too).

photo by Ben Dearnley

Don't worry too much about precise measurements, there isn't such a thing in my kitchen! This recipe is pretty much fool-proof.

cheat's falafel balls with tahini yoghurt sauce

2 cups chickpea (besan) flour
1 tsp fine sea or lake salt
2 tsp cumin seeds (grind with mortar & pestle or use ready-ground)
2 tsp coriander seeds (grind with mortar & pestle or use ready-ground)
pinch of ground cardamom (optional)
1 tbsp spelt flour
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 bunch mint leaves, finely chopped
1/2 bunch coriander, finely chopped
sesame seeds (optional)
extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil or ghee for frying

Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir to blend well. Slowly pour over some water, enough to hold the mixture together. Do this slowly so you don't pour in too much water and end up with a sloppy mixture that won't hold together. Add a dash more water (it will soak in), stir to blend well, cover with a tea towel and leave on the bench top for at least 30 minutes for the flavours to blend (this is really an optional step, but I find the flavours are better if you do it).

Form little balls with the mixture. If you like, roll each ball in sesame seeds. Pour enough oil to cover the bottom of a pan and heat over low-medium heat. Add the balls and fry until golden and crisp. I don't deep-fry my falafel balls, there's really no need to. They cook through this way just fine. Alternatively you can bake them in a moderate oven on a baking tray, turning them over when they're golden on one side.

While the balls are cooking, make your tahini yoghurt sauce:

tahini yoghurt sauce

1 cup natural biodynamic yoghurt (not thickened. I prefer sheep's milk)
2 tbsp tahini
1 clove garlic, crushed
lemon

Combine the yoghurt, tahini and garlic in a mixing bowl and squeeze in half the lemon. Taste to see if you'd like more lemon. You can easily adjust to your taste by adding more yoghurt or more lemon. VoilĂ !


1 comments:

  1. Oh these sound heavenly! I love the combination of spices you've used.. and that tahini yoghurt sauce - I think I could just eat that by the spoonful!

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author