friday nom noms: fasolakia, my greek green bean ste

I love meat and for this reason I don't eat great wads of it. I explained this in this post earlier in the week. Anyway, because meaty days were an indulgence in our household growing up, my mum had a repertoire of vegetable dishes she’d whip up on a rotational basis every week. Fasolakia was one of them, and one of my favourites. Good for dinner, lunch, even breakfast. It’s an old school classic greek dish. I’ve jazzed it up a little with a few extra veggies for extra deliciousness. It’s also good with some feta sprinkled on top. Give it a go. Yes!

I'm smiling because I'm eating fasolakia (and a hefty wad of feta)

any time fasolakia
I recommend chemical-free or organic veggies. Not only are they better for your health and the environment but they taste better, no doubt. They taste like vegetables should taste. Sweet. Flavourful. The cheapest way to get your hands on organic veggies, besides growing them yourself, is to get to a farmers’ market

extra virgin olive oil
small bunch spring onions, sliced
3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 - 1.5 kg green beans, stems removed
3 zucchinis, thickly sliced
1 eggplant, diced
salt and black pepper to taste

Heat olive oil over a low heat and sauté the spring onions until soft. Add chopped tomatoes and sauté until broken down a little. Add the green beans, zucchini, eggplant and enough water to go about 1/3 of the way up the vegetables. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover with a lid and simmer gently for about 1 hour or until the beans very tender. The tomato, eggplant and zucchini break down so you get a lovely sweet sauce. Serve warm or cold.

I'd love to know what your favourite meat-free dish is... feel free to share below!


4 comments:

  1. Yum! My (Greek) father has been promising me for months that he will make me fasolakia, I think it's time to remind him of that promise!

    I have the same food philosophy as you - small amounts of sustainably produced meat directly from the farmers a couple of times a week - with lots of veggies and vegetarian food!

    My favourite meat-free dishes include Greek Black-eye beans and spinach (not sure what the actual Greek name for this dish is, but I've been eating it my whole life), spinach, tomato and chickpea stew and capsicums stuffed with a mixture of quinoa and veggies. Also, eggs (which I buy from neighbours who have their own chickens). I eat a lot of omelettes and frittatas - great for using up what's lying around the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, frittatas etc best way to use veggies that are lacking in a little lustre. Fritters are good for that too!

      Delete
  2. Mmmm, I love fasolakia.My Greek mother-in-law thought me how to cook them. I find your blog very inspiring.
    Filakia from sunny Greece.

    Dora

    ReplyDelete
  3. I' m very happy that i found your blog !

    Kisses from Greece

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author