help us stop a 24/7 McDonald's from developing in my suburb

I'm wondering if you would be interested in helping out my suburb by signing this online petition on change.org? It's to help encourage our Council to reject the recent application by McDonald's to set up a 24/7 'restaurant'... opposite our beach!


The town of Tecoma in the Dandenong Ranges is fighting Maccas too

McDonald's has applied for permission to develop on a block of land opposite our beach and backing directly onto our creek. Big Mac wrappers floating in the creek anyone? Needless to say, I'm not too thrilled about it. Neither are many of my fellow community members. The reasons are quite obvious, and instead of giving the spiel here I thought I'd just show you the letter of objection I've written to the Council. You can view my letter of objection here.

Earlier this week I distributed this letter to cafes and shops around town, so that they may redistribute to their patrons for signing. My partner in crime (husband) will be collecting them tomorrow afternoon and hand delivering to Council. Wish us luck!

Anyway, I'm keeping this one short. Just opening it up to anyone who wants to stick it to the fast food orgs. Now's your chance! 

You can sign the online petition here:


Feel free to share it with your friends. The more the merrier!

xx

Maria


5 comments:

  1. Hi Maria,
    I live just not far from there and having been stewing over it ever since I heard about this - it's the last thing Seaford needs! Your letter is brilliant and very well researched - the council have no legitimate grounds to approve this as there's no doubt the environmental, health and social concerns outweigh any perceived economic benefits. My husband and I have lodged our objections to the permit and I've spread the word among friends, but I fear that even if we have some success with the council, VCAT will just rubber stamp it anyway (as they did in Tecoma). Still, we must do everything we can to influence the outcome - well done on your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why McDonalds sponsors 'Clean Up Australia Day' - so that some of their rubbish might be cleared from parks & waterways etc. I live at least 5Km from the nearest McDonalds yet have their wrappers drift into my driveway. The park opposite has consistent levels of McD's rubbish in it (there's other rubbish too). There's a 'M'ore 'C'holesterol 'D'amage at Southland, at Cheltenham, at Aspendale Gardens, at Frankston - there's plenty of opportunities for people travelling along Nepean to stop if needed - you don't need one at Seaford. If you do, you can expect a 'K'ids 'F'attening 'C'entre to apply next

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've managed to collect 60 signed letters so far, with another 20 or so coming over the weekend. And I'm planning to attend the Council meeting where they'll be discussing the issue. The VCAT issue is a worry Bridget... we'll need something quite technical to face them, if it comes to that. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic letter, Maria. I have just signed the petition. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Done! =)cheers Jess

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author