my nourishing lip & body butter recipe

So I have a pretty retentive philosophy when it comes to beauty products – if I can’t eat it, I won’t put it on my skin; if it’s got an ingredient list longer than my arm, I won’t put it on my skin; if I can’t pronounce the ingredients... if I can make it myself... you get the gist. Consequently, I have a pretty bare bathroom cabinet, which is a damn good thing I say, both for me and the environment. Minimal products, maximum efficacy.

thankfully, "this product has been discontinued". umm, yeah. via neatoshop.

You can catch up on why what you put on your skin matters as much as what you put in your gob here, in my Detox Series. You might also like to download a free copy of my natural beauty guide (all you need to do is sign up to my free Friday newsletter here). But today, I thought I’d share the latest ‘Maria’s natural beauty concoction’, my homemade lip and body conditioning butter. You can eat it too, if you like.

It’s a sinch to make – 3 ingredients, all of which you can eat and cook with: cacao butter, coconut oil and macadamia oil. Firstly, a few good things about each of these:

  • Cacao butter -  is the oil extracted from cacao seeds (and the main ingredient in white chocolate). It contains plenty of vitamin E to soften the skin, and stearic acid which helps with skin repair. It's a little pricey, but most worthy as it doubles as a healthy alternative to butter in cake recipes etc. Check out my home made chocolate recipe using cacao butter here.
  • Coconut oil - contains all sorts of goodies (capric and lauric acids) that act as antimicrobial and antifungal agents, protecting your skin from microbes as well as dryness. This is especially good for lips!
  • Macadamia oil - is an emollient, which means it reduces the evaporation of water from your skin, making it feel more conditioned and softer. It's very stable even at high temperatures  meaning it won't oxidise (go rancid) so is safe for your skin (and to cook with). Here’s a yum roasted nut snack recipe using macadamia oil.

Make sure what you’re buying is cold-pressed and organic if possible.

Cacao, coconut and macadamia lip & body butter

my lip & body butter... in a reused blush container!

3 parts cacao butter
1 part coconut oil
1 - 2 parts macadamia oil

First thing’s first, you need to get the consistency right-  cacao butter is super solid at room temperature but melts at body temperature. Coconut oil is sorta semi solid at room temperature, and macadamia oil is liquid pretty much all the time. So you mix all three at the ratios above to get a balm-y consistency that stays sorta solid at room temperature. Make sense? If you’re in a very hot climate, you might need to use a little less macadamia oil. If you’re in a super cold climate, you may need to use a touch more. I live in Melbourne, which can be scorching hot one second and 20C cooler the next, and I find these ratios keep the balm solid enough to store a small container of it in my bag without it leaking everywhere.

Quantities – I used about 3 tablespoons of cacao butter, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of macadamia oil to make enough balm to fill a small emptied blush container, and a little left over that filled a small condiment dish (which I keep in the bathroom). So you make as much or as little as you like. Just work with those ratios and you’ll be right.
  1. Melt a piece of cacao butter over a low heat.  Remove from heat.
  2. Add a tablespoon of coconut oil and melt through (the residual heat should be enough to melt it).
  3. Add the macadamia oil and stir well to combine. Feel free to use any other plant oil you like. Almond oil is nice. So too jojoba, or olive oil, or carrot seed...
  4. Want it smelly? Feel free to add a few drops of your favourite essential oil at this point. Totally optional.
  5. Pour the mixture into a spill-proof container and allow to set overnight on the bench (or you can speed up the process by popping it in the fridge).

Use the balm to condition your lips and skin. Also great for nails!

Give this one a shot and let me know how you go. I’d be keen to know if the ratio works in hotter climates. And if you’ve got any sweet home made beauty recipes you’d like to share, please feel free to comment below:


10 comments:

  1. Love things like this! Where you do you source your ingredients from, we are doing a sustainable market soon and I would love to make this to sell for our school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, I buy the ingredients from my local health food store. Most good health food stores would have all three ingredients. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Love it thanks Maria ... going to make this up on the weekend, I'm such a balm addict and have been putting coconut oil on my lips lately so this will be a really lovely mix. Will definitely add an essential oil, just one that won't be drying or an irritant to the lips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chamomile might be good for that... that's very soothing. But if you're making up a small amount for lips, I'd only put in a drop or two. Have fun with it!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Maria that's a great idea, I'll pop down and get some today, I was at the health food store yesterday stocking up too! Will let you know how it goes as I live in QLD might reduce the Macadamia oil down a bit too. Do you reckon you could use something like this for the shower just before you hop out as a body moisturiser? Or have you done something else for the body?

      Delete
    3. I use the same balm all over my body, works a treat. Enjoy!

      Delete
    4. Great thanks Maria, I do love using coconut oil on my skin, it's just the perfect hydrator :-)

      Delete
  3. Thanks Maria, have recently discovered your blog and I LOVE it - am looking to make the change to homemade/natural beauty products and your guides are really helping me out. :)

    I live in Perth, Western Australia which in the summer can definitely be classified as "very hot", so I'll see how I go with the macadamia oil and let you know!

    Zoë

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe, glad you found my blog! Yes please let me know how it holds up on hotter weather. You may not need to add much macadamia oil at all.

      Delete
  4. I had some difficulties to find beeswax here and almost all lipbalm recipes contain beeswax and I was thinking how to substitute it. Thanks a lot for this great recipe, I'll try asap :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author