the joy of doing things differently

Below is one of my favourite quotes (by American novelist Kurt Vonnegut), like, ever. These are the words I channel when I'm nervously standing on the cusp of change, or my limits are being challenged, or I feel alone in my ways. Or when I'm unsure of whether to jump or stay put. The words are these:


“I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.”


via starrstruck

I think the sentiment comes in handy when you're feeling a bit funny about standing out from the crowd. They may just be the words to kick your tooshie into gear when fear stalls you. I like that they gently remind you that life's about perspective - often, when you're tied up in the crowd, you forget there are other ways to do life. When you jiggle yourself free from the group, that's when you can get a fresh perspective, and maybe even forge your own way to the life you really want.

I also get this as another take home message - you need to push your own limits, do things that make you feel uncomfortable, that scare you. It's the only way you can grow as a person.

We all tend to go with the crowd-flow. How do you make sure you break free from it, at least from time to time?


8 comments:

  1. Your comment that we need to "do things that make you feel uncomfortable, that scare you" really resonates with me!

    I think the best way we can break free from the crowd is to stop apologising for who we are and what we stand for. I know I continually (without realising) 'apologise' for being me. Whether this is through body language or how I interact with people, I know it is counter productive to the goals I wish to achieve.

    Thank you for reminding me of the importance of..well....me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that! I find myself apologising for who I am too. As soon as you catch yourself doing it and stop, you feel free. Thanks Holly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. We are about to move and people keep telling me that I won't find community like I have where I currently am. And I won't . It will be differerent , but good aswell. I don't want to not try something new because of fear of the unknown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As they say, you're more likely to regret not having done something than having given it a go. I'm sure you'll build your own pocket of meaning there. I guess that's what we're all trying to do.

      Delete
  4. Hi Maria,
    I've been reading your blog for a while (love it by the way), first time commenting though.
    I think sometimes you just have to shut your eyes and jump. I'm slowly learning that what I do isn't really of significance to other people (not as much as you can think it is anyway). And if they are paying that much attention, then maybe they shouldn't be :)
    I'm learning to feel the fear, and do it anyway, and to stop worrying about what other people might think, because really, does it matter???
    See you again,
    Rachael
    PS As per your face detox pointers, I have been using coconut oil on my face for the past three or four weeks, and am sooo happy with it, so thank you for that! Cleanser will be next :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true,as you grow older and wiser you realise most people don't actually give a hoot what you do. Which gives you such a sense of freedom. Oh and am so glad you're loving the switch to plant oil. Yay!

      Delete
  5. Hey Maria,

    I am going through (more than ever right now!) this acute awareness of needing to make a conscientious effort to feel discomfort/uncomfortable on a daily basis! And my stomach flipped just writing that!

    It is super scary challenging oneself in this way, and yet SO necessary in order to really live and experience; Your article is a lovely and added reminder!

    And first up on the discomfort list? Indoor Rock Climbing this Thursday as part of my Step-Up-To-September Birthday Month challenges/enjoyment/ExperiencesList!
    I am super excited AND beyond nervous (recovering broken-ski-knee-with-internal-accessories anyone?! Yup! And THAT is a big part of stepping UP and OUT!)

    Thanks for sharing!

    I am one-month into my eco-skin-haircare, and loving it! The results are amazing - my spirit feels good; I am also saving a bomb, and looking forward to travelling LIGHT! hahaha

    Cheers
    Liesl

    "Stepping out of your ComfortCircle is the deepest comfort you can gift yourself" - brownskin

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author