My lentil & lemon soup (aka fakes)


You know those days when it’s grey and cold outside, and you’re feeling a bit grey and cold inside too? The is THE soup to combat those days. I whacked it together because I was having one of those days and was hungry to boot, and didn’t want to leave the house. Lentils and a few garden pickings were all I could muster.

Mmm nom nom, me hearty lentil & lemon soup

The original Greek version of this soup (called fakes – yes!) - which my mum still makes on a weekly basis - is, well, kinda bleh. It involves throwing some brown lentils, spring onions and tomatoes in a pot and calling it a day. Which doesn’t give your tastebuds much to work with. As a kid, I used to hate fakes. In fact I still do. Which is why I fancied it up with a few veggie patch additions (the leek, lemon and bay leaves were all from my garden) and came up with this version. Which in my opinion is, like, a trillion times better.

Why eat lentils anyway?
Lentils are a key staple in the Greek kitchen. They’re packed full of iron, protein, folate, and fibre. They’re super cheap, filling, tasty. In fact legumes and pulses of any sort are a key component in the Mediterranean diet, and in many of the traditional diets of the long-lived and healthy people around the world. The trick is to learn how to prepare them properly, to unleash their maximum health-giving potential and neutralise their phytic acid content (which can do you harm in the long-run). My recipe calls for sprouting your lentils – if you’re wondering how and why, click here.


Sprouted lentil & lemon soup

about 200g Le puy-style (green lentils), soaked and sprouted (Mount Zero is a great producer)
red lentils, two or so handfuls
1 small bunch spring onions, finely chopped
1 leek, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
juice of half a lemon
1.5 litres (or so) of water
a good glug of extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Start by sautéing the chopped spring onions and leek in olive oil in a large pot, until softened. Don’t let them brown.

Throw in the bay leaves and stir until fragrant. Add the sprouted le puy lentils, the water, salt and pepper and simmer until cooked through. Add the red lentils and simmer until cooked through and soup has thickened to your liking. Add the lemon juice, simmer for a further 2-3 minutes. Done. Enjoy.

It takes about 20 minutes from start to finish, and serves 3 hungry people.

I like to drizzle a little more olive oil on top when serving.


3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Making it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Hope you enjoy it. Best trust your judgement with quantities... in my usual style I failed to note exact quantities so I was guestimating here. But you can't go too wrong with it, it's so simple. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious! We eat very similar styles of food (I'm Greek too!). Last week we had black eye beans with spinach and lemon - warm and comforting in this chilly Sydney weather we're currently having!

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author