tahini & honey almond balls (a sugar-free treat)

Some of you may have seen the 'expose' on the dangers of too much sugar, aired on tv last night on channel 7's (creatively titled) Sunday Night show. You can watch it here if you missed it (it's in two parts, the second featuring my food idol Jamie Oliver). The media is finally catching up with the research, not to mention the rest of us mindful folk who gave up sugar months ago :) If you're new to this blog and don't have a clue what I'm talking about, you can catch up here.


I whipped up these little balls of happiness last night in about 6 minutes. They are incredibly satisfying. They are rich and creamy. They are nutritious. Tahini is rich in calcium, good fats and essential fatty acids. It's also a good source of vitamin B1, iron, copper, magnesium, phosphorous, zinc and manganese.

I take no measurements when I'm cooking, I just throw stuff together and go with how it feels. I've tried to guess quantities here, but please use your senses and adjust if you like. Go forth and roll.

my tahini & honey almond balls

2 tblspn organic butter (grass-fed), chopped
2-3 large tblspn organic unhulled tahini (light not dark seeds)
1 tblsp raw organic honey
about 3/4 cup almond meal (I say 'about'... I didn't measure. Just throw some in slowly and use as much as you need to get the right consistency)
organic dessicated coconut (for coating)

Throw everything in a bowl and combine until smooth. It's easier to do this with your hands rather than a spoon.

Now take the smooth mixture and roll into little balls in the palm of your hand. Coat with some dessicated coconut.

Pop balls in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Store in fridge or freezer. They are yum. Honest to goodness yum.

Makes 10 balls.


6 comments:

  1. YUM. definitely gonna try these. you think they'll be nice without the butter? we're not eating dairy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, they kinda need something to hold them together... try using chopped dates instead??

    ReplyDelete
  3. or maybe 1/2 almond meal and 1/2 almond butter? i'll give it a go :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Almond butter would be perfect

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I make a similar recipe that uses water rather than butter and a bit of extra coconut. I also add cocoa, they're nice and fudgy and give me my chocolate fix :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i used the leftover almond meal from my almond milk straining. worked well. They are in the freezer now!

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author