Make your own... potato crisps

This annoys me. I mean, it really gets my goat. And it's the reason why I bang on and on and on about making simple foods ourselves, at home. Read:


This excerpt is from a 2008 Choice report on food miles. It's the perfect example of how even the most well-intentioned consumer can be duped by labelling.

It lit a fire under me so I set to work making my own potato crisps. It turns out they're hands down one of the easiest snacks to make ever. Ever. And, no surprises, the home-made version tastes a trillion times better. I got so excited I even broke it down into ingredient origins: I bought one white potato and one baby sweet potato from my local organic grocer, who sources only locally farmed veggies - $1.70. I used a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil from Mount Zero in Victoria, which I already had at home. And a pinch of Australian Lake salt from WA.

So, here's how to make 'em!





  • Floury variety potato (Russet is best because they have the lowest moisture content)
  • Sweet potato
  • Potato peeler or mandoline
  • Sea salt
  • Olive oil
  • Any spices you like, optional - I've added chilli powder. Cumin would be yummo too!


Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

Wash and dry potatoes, leaving skin on. Use a potato peeler or mandoline (I used a peeler) to peel very thin slices off and lay these on a towel, then pat dry well.

Toss the potato slices in a bowl with a tiny drizzle of olive oil, sprinkle of salt and any other spice you like.

Line a baking tray with baking paper, lay out the slices of potato and bake in the oven for approximately 10 minutes. They really don't take long, you almost need to watch them towards the end so they don't burn. Or you can cover them with another piece of baking paper so you don't have to worry.

Allow to cool. They'll crispen up nicely.

Truly this method can apply to any low-moisture veggie including kale, turnip, pumpkin. Let me know if you've tried any others...


3 comments:

  1. Great post Maria. The photo is beautiful, the crisps look like rose petals! We have just harvested a crop of potatoes from our garden, my little boys will love to have home made crisps - organic, homemade and no packaging. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nikki! Let us know how you go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post, Maria. I am fairly careful with my purchases ...but I don't think i have ever looked at a packet of potato chips like that before. It really makes you think.
    Have gotta try making these, we have a 20 kg bag of homegrown potatoes in the garage and i can't believe I didn't think of making these before!

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author