5 things to do with sugar (that don't involve eating)

I'm wondering, how's everyone going with quitting sugar? Are you loving life, or withdrawing like a bugger? Do you walk past the confectionery isle with a smug sense of empowerment, or do your innards scream at you to JUST GIVE IT UP AND EAT A FREAKIN MARS BAR? Or are you yet to quit, thinking instead "I'll quit as soon as I finish off that 1kg pack I bought last month... can't just leave it in the pantry"?

Well don't. This is a trap. A trick our tricky brain plays on us to keep things ticking over as usual. Because our brain doesn't like change. Canadian psychologist Robert Gifford (who studies environmental activism, among other things, at the University of Victoria) calls this mental loop-hole the 'sunk cost' trick. Everybody uses this for something or other, no?

Sugar body exfoliator, recipe below

Because I quit cold turkey, I have had a 1kg pack of sugar sitting in the pantry. For, oh, six or so months now. And it niggles at me, at a visceral level. I don't like waste.

So I did my research and found out there are all sorts of uses for sugar that don't involve the eating of said sugar. Joy!

Here we go:

Cut flower preservative
for every 1 litre of water, add:
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons white vinegar

The sugar nourishes the flowers and the vinegar inhibits bacterial growth.

Fly trap
2 cups milk
115g raw sugar
60g ground black pepper

Heat it all up in a saucepan for 10 minutes. Pour mixture into shallow dishes and set them around the problem areas in your home. Flies will fly in, get stuck, drown. 

Quick lemon and sugar cleansing scrub
Mix:
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1-2 tablespoons sugar

Good for cleaning particularly greasy hands, or smoothing over roughened 'I wear thongs too often' feet. Also good for removing paint from your hands.

Body exfoliator
Mix:
4-5 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon almond oil (or jojoba or olive oil)
1 drop essential oil

Michelle, one of the readers of this blog, suggested this one. She writes a beautiful blog called I Ripple I Dance. Check it out. And can I just say I've done a bit of reading on exfoliating, which I always thought was a waste of time, and discovered this - normal skin sheds old cells and renews them every 28 days or so, but this slows down as you age. SO exfoliating will help keep a nice healthy glow to your skin. There you go.

Sugaring
Has anyone tried this? This is an alternative to store-bought wax. It's traditionally used in the Middle East. It's water soluble so drips are easily cleaned up. It can be used fresh or stored in a heatproof container and melted down when needed. 

500g sugar
juice of one lemon
10ml glycerin
calico strips
spatula or butter knife

Add lemon juice to the sugar. Heat the mixture in a saucepan for 10 minutes until it's a golden brown colour.

Remove from heat and add glycerin. Make sure your legs are dry (moisture will stop the mixture from sticking). Apply mixture with the spatula, add strip, wax away. 

Got any others?


4 comments:

  1. This is awesome, particularly the body scrub. I love those things! Might make some tonight. Im just starting to quit sugar i'm 9 days in. Its friking hard. I started a blog http://jaxtz.wordpress.com/ to keep me on track and I found this post via the Sweet Posion facebook page. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqui, I just had a quick look at your blog. I'm greek. I totally understand the 'dessert table at gatherings' thing. I know exactly what you mean. For me, quitting sugar is about regaining control of it. I found it took a couple of months of total abstinence for that control to develop. The glory of it is that once you have broken the addiction and habit, you can enjoy a slice of cake at a party without wanting to gorge on every dessert on the table! (although I have to say that I'm finding over-the-top sweets less attractive now anyway. Which is a good thing!). I'm feeling so good being off sugar - no more hypos, no more afternoon slumps - that it's easy now. Onwards and upwards!

      Delete
  2. You are just too clever and creative!!! Love those suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the mention! Some interesting ideas. I have put sugar in with flowers but will definitely add the vinegar next time to prevent the mouldy attack.

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author